I was given this reminder in 2008 and I refer to it often. I hope you find it helpful.
1. Exceed expectations and do it cheerfully.
2. Remember the three R’s: Respect for self; Respect for others; Responsibility for all your actions.
3. Remember that great love and great achievements involve great risk.
4. When you lose, DON’T lose the lesson.
5. When you say ‘I love you’ mean it.
6. When you say ‘I’m sorry’ look the person in the eye.
7. Believe in love at first sight.
8. Love deeply and passionately. You might get hurt but it’s the only way to live life completely.
9. Be engaged at least a year before you get married – know the person through all seasons.
10. Marry a man/woman you love to talk to. As you get older, their conversational skills will be as important as any other.
11. Never laugh at anyone’s dreams. People who don’t have dreams don’t have much.
12. In disagreements, fight fairly. No name calling. Speak your truth without rancor.
13. When someone asks you a question you don’t want to answer, smile and ask, ‘Why do you want to know?’
14. When you realize you’ve made a mistake, take immediate steps to correct it.
15. Talk slowly but think quickly.
16. Don’t let a little dispute injure a great friendship.
17. Remember memories are made with people, not things. When all is said and done, it will be the experiences you have and people you love that will be important – not the car or jewelry.
18. Don’t judge people by their relatives.
19. Don’t believe all you hear, use your common sense; don’t spend all you have, give some away; don’t sleep all you want, just all you need. Life is short – be part of it.
20. Smile when you answer the phone. The caller will hear it in your voice.
21. Be kind to animals, we share their planet.
22. Say ‘bless you’ when you hear someone sneeze.
23. Daily – Spend some time alone. Spend time with God.
A true friend is someone who reaches for your hand and touches your heart.